Vacancy Announcement for the position of Lead Creative Designer (1)
Interested internal and external candidates are invited to email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 18th March, 2019:
- Cover Letter clearly indicating the position for which you are applying and explaining in brief how your expertise, experience and motivation match the requirements and make you the best candidate for the position.
- Title of your current position and remuneration.
- An updated C.V. with three referees
IMPORTANT: All the three (3) above mentioned steps must be followed. Applications not following all steps will automatically be disqualified.
Purpose of the Position:
Manage the design studio at Storymoja, which handles book design, quality of printing, and the creation of point of sale and other advertising materials.
- Ensure books are illustrated, designed and ready to print in a timely manner and in a way that maximizes quality and minimizes printing cost.
- Ensure editing corrections are made and signed off by the Managing Editor.
- Ensure that photographs and illustrations to be used are approved in writing before being laid out in the book or in any content being developed.
- Ensure only the latest print version of every book and advertising material is securely saved.
- Provide accurate print specifications to the relevant team to source competitive quotations for printing.
- Print a sample of each final artwork and ensure it is signed off by the Managing Editor before submission for print.
- Liaise with chosen printer, check and approve print proofs to ensure resulting books meet specifications and deadlines in order to deliver anticipated impact.
- Lead the designers in coming up with creative concepts in response to sales & marketing briefs.
- Work closely with the relevant teams to institutionalize production systems- from briefing to final quality checks to pre-flighting - that speeds up the book development process to help meet the 2019 book production targets.
- Train/retrain the design team and illustrators on how to identify, understand and consistently deliver high quality work in a timely manner. Conduct regular training for them to up their skills in illustration and design.
- Develop in-house brand standards/manuals for book series bearing in mind cost effective sizes, pages and paper, competition and consumer/shelf impact.
- Seek buy-in and usage of in-house design manuals for all Storymoja brands. Train and retrain the relevant teams on the same.
- Help in identifying artists to increase the freelance illustration pool e.g. by designing and running illustration competitions and advanced workshops.
- Lead digitization of Storymoja books in line with market requirements by various vendors. Initial training for this will be provided.
- Provide creative and production input for digital content creation like book trailers, audio books, animations, e-learning resources etc.
- Compile and submit timely departmental reports.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to you by your supervisor and are related to the achievement of Storymoja’s mission and vision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (The knowledge, skills, and abilities may be required through a combination of formal schooling, self –education and prior experience or on – the –job –training.)
- Proven graphic designing hands on experience especially at a supervisory level.
- A strong portfolio of illustrations or other graphics.
- Proficiency in design software and technologies especially In Design, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Photoshop.
- Keen attention to detail!
- Proven eye for aesthetics.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and meet deadlines.
- Quick thinker with a high level of transparency and integrity as well as leadership qualities.
- An attitude that embraces team work and continuous improvement.
- Relevant certification