2008 Theme: Storytelling for Peace
What is the Storymoja Nyamachoma Fiesta?
The second annual day-long celebration of Kenyan stories, writing and contemporary culture through books, storytelling, skits, live discussion forums, demonstrations, workshops, open-mike sessions, and competitions. The events will be held on a main stage or in one of about twenty themed tents called studios. Plenty of food, drink and nyamachoma on sale. Eric Wainaina (TBC) and Grandmaster Masese will perform, and two books will be launched.
Who is invited?
Day-long fun for the whole family with multiple events targeting men, women and children.
Where, when and at what time?
Venue: Impala Club, Ngong Road, Nairobi
Date: Sunday 10th August, 2008, from 10am to 7pm
Charges: Kshs 500/= and you get a free book
What is the purpose of the Storymoja Fiesta?
To achieve our 2030 vision, Kenyans need to read widely to fire their creativity and smarten up. The Storymoja Nyamachoma Fiesta is the culminating event in the ‘Kenya Get Reading Campaign’ intended to excite Kenyans about our stories, and our books. In 2008, we celebrate the power of storytelling as a tool for peacemaking.
What are the main elements of the campaign?
Apart from ongoing readings and book-signings by authors at various venues around Nairobi, Storymoja is organising five competitive build-up events in schools, universities and workplaces – the finals of which will be hosted at the 2008 Storymoja Nyamachoma Fiesta
Build-up events in the campaign include:
- Battle of the Universities Storytelling Competition commences in June, 2008
- Battle of the Estates Storytelling Competition commences in June, 2008
- ‘Strength in Diversity’ seminars in various workplaces led by Mildred Awiti to challenge Kenyans to think of our ethnic, gender and age differences as incredible strengths
- ‘Women in Leadership’ mentoring program led by Shan Bartley
- Spelling Bee competition in 12 schools around Nairobi led by Carol Gaithuma
What attractions at the Storymoja Nyamachoma Fiesta are designed to appeal to adults
In addition to the finals of the build-up events listed above:
- Sunny Bindra will lead Customer Service seminars based on key lessons in his book, Crown Your Customer
- Oyunga Pala (TBC) will lead a discussion entitled, ManTalk
- Gavin (TBC) will lead the session CarTalk
- Writing workshops to include: Careers in Writing, African Book-club, Creative Writing, Manuscript Doctor (editing), and Poetry/Spoken Word. These sessions will be led by luminaries in the writing field and many authors will be available to conduct readings and book signings
What attractions at the Storymoja Fiesta are designed to appeal to children?
- Peace skits, bouncing castles, face-painting, and storytelling will attract the younger ones
- Storytelling finals, Spelling Bee Finals (opportunity to support your team!), open-mike sessions, Spoken Word/Poetry and Careers-in-Writing workshops will appeal to older children and teenagers
Where can you get tickets?
Chania bookshop – Moi Avenue
Gina Links bookshop- South B
Waga bookshop- Buruburu
Wells bookshop- Nakumatt Lifestyle
Dominion House 1st Floor stall F5 -Tom Mboya street
Please contact us for more information or discussion.