– In 2010, there were 27,000 handbags left in the London Underground!
– Boogeys are actually brain slime
– The weirdest things in the Lost and Found in the London Underground includes a harpoon gun and three dead bats in a box!
– There are 422 official sports played on Planet Earth
– Park benches do not have sound effects
I love fun facts that appear to be useless, but really can be used to dazzle people to show your immense breadth of knowledge (or so I try to convince myself), so I loved that the Etherington Brothers session was peppered with really interesting little facts. What was even cooler, is that they used these little facts to show how to come up with story ideas, and then how to go on to write and illustrate it for a comic book. Don’t let these two brothers fool you with their cool veneer, fantastic sound effects and dodgy accents; you do leave with a little toolbox for writing your own comic. Best of all though, is that whilst they encourage creativy inzanity (it should be a word!), they show you how to structure all the madness you come up with, so that your story might even be interesting for somebody else to read.
I have certainly not done the session justice, so yes, go see the Etherington brothers…and if you are an adult, please resept that it is a silly-friendly zone!
by Aleya Kassam
Picture from: www.hayfestival.com