Call for Submissions: Global Creative Contest on Youth Perspectives of HIV/AIDS- Open to 15-29 yr olds
The Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS (GYCA), a program of TakingItGlobal, is organizing a creative contest for young people (15 to 29 years old) from all over the world. The contest is focused around youth perspectives of HIV and AIDS and how this is communicated through creative expression.
August 2010 – August 2011 was designated by the UN General Assembly as the International Year of Youth, time when issues related to young people will be highlighted and privileged, particularly in the context of the Millennium Development Goals.
This key event provides an opportunity to explore themes with youth and capitalize on the focus on young people to bring creative youth voices to the forefront.
Deadline for submissions: January 30, 2011. Participants must be between 15 and 29 years old.
GYCA wants to take advantage of this opportunity and highlight issues related to sexual and reproductive health and rights and how they relate to adolescents and young people.
Contest participants can choose to express:
* Why sexuality education is important for HIV prevention (CSE)
* Why it is that young people living with HIV experience stigmatization and discrimination (S&D)
* What sexual and reproductive health means to you (SRHR)
The creative works will be used by GYCA on its website, campaigns and documents during the International Year of Youth, always giving credit to the authors.
Winners will be announced on March 1 and a special GYCA newsletter will be distributed showcasing the best pictures, art and videos.
The contest welcomes a variety of mediums. Contributors are encouraged to send digital versions of video, photographs, paintings, sculptures, multi-media works, and more.
• Submissions must be related to one of the themes and the artist must specify the theme when submitting artwork.
• Each participant can submit up to 3 pieces of work.
• By submitting artwork to the contest, participants agree to allow GYCA and its partners the non-exclusive right to use the work for non-profit promotional activities. Participants are free to set the copyright of their work to the
creative commons license they prefer for external useage. GYCA will ensure that images/art/videos etc. will not be used for any profitable activity.
• The creative work submitted should be no older than 1 year old and the author must certify that s/he is the creator of the work(s).
• A review panel of HIV activists, organizations, and artists will select finalists. This review panel will select the top 5 submissions in each of the 3 categories. These finalists will be posted online for voting by the community to determine the winner in each category.
• There will be a special page on GYCA’s website showcasing the pictures and art where people will be able to vote for their favorite submission.
For more information see: